Happy 40th birthday, Sofia Vergara: Thanks for being our most quotable star!
Fun, forty, and fabulous. And she never holds her tongue.
Sofia Vergara turns 40 today. Not that she looks anywhere close to that age. What better way to celebrate this special day than by combing through past interviews and plucking some of the most outrageous things that have slipped from Vergara’s mouth?
Some of these quotes will make you shake your head. Others will simply amuse you. But no one can accuse the Colombian bombshell of being boring.
1. Vergara’s April cover interview with Esquire caught a lot of heat (check out some readers’ comments in our story about it). What could the actress possibly have said to tick them off? A lot. Here’s a taste. To her credit though, the article was less of an article and more of a guide for American men interested in dating Latin women.
Cal Fussman: What about cheating? My wife has told me that she feels there would be less chance of an American guy cheating on her than a Latin guy.
Vergara: ”Yes, of course. Latin men have something inside them, a genetic disposition to be a little sneaky. A Latin woman has to watch for that. An American guy might think twice before going there. He’s thinking ahead, This could turn into a problem that’s just not worth it. The Latin guy might love the drama and thrill of it in the moment.”
2. On a lighter note, we thought Vergara’s two cents about American bathing suits (from the same Esquire interview) was funny and true:
“It’s like a diaper. It’s terrible. Who can look good in that?”
3. On the July 2012 cover of Women’s Health South Africa, Vergara showed her borderline-crazy maternal side.
“I think I text him [Vergara’s son Manolo] every 45 minutes. I have to control myself. He doesn’t answer much. But I still text him. So I feel we’re connected.”
4. Vergara commented on her subtle accent during a 2010 appearance on Ellen DeGeneres’ talk show:
“It is getting worse. Sometimes, I talk and I don’t even understand what I said. I do a little pause to see the person’s face – to see if they understood, because I didn’t understand what I said…. Now I know how to read the faces.”
5. In an appearance on Lopez Tonight, Vergara spoke about getting discovered “laying there [on a beach in Colombia] in my g-string, you know, like all Latin girls,” and having to dye her hair early in her career to look more ‘Latin.’ And then, she said this to George Lopez:
“You didn’t have that problem because you look more Mexican than a taco, that’s for sure!”
6. In a 2011 appearance on The View, co-host Joy Behar pointed out that one of Vergara’s nicknames is Sofia “Viagra.” With a teasing smile, Vergara quipped:
“It’s because they say that I cause the same effect… I don’t know.”
7. Of course that was nowhere near as memorable as her infamous “rape” joke on The View in 2009, which fell flat, to put it mildly. Vergara was trying to explain how she could’ve had Manolo and still look so young and nearly gave Whoopi a heart attack, until Barbara Walters saves the day. We know what you meant, Sofia, we know what you meant:
8. Vergara loves her family back in Colombia – dearly. They just don’t get how the Emmy Awards work. Here’s what she told David Letterman after losing an Emmy - and how her family abroad took it:
“They don’t understand. They start calling me from Colombia, like ‘but why you didn’t win??!” … they really think it’s a beauty pageant. You know how big beauty pageants are in Latin America. They’re like ‘but your dress was the best! And your hair, you by far, the hair!’ I’m like, ‘no, this is not a beauty’… They don’t understand that.”
9. Her countless mispronunciations - watch this hilarious compilation from Modern Family:
10. On Jimmy Kimmel Live, the late-night host brought up a Pepsi commercial Vergara shot with David Beckham and said, “If I can get the two of you to mate I can only imagine what would come out of you…I’d just like to be a part of it somehow, I can be a coach.” To which Sofia responded “OK…maybe I can arrange something,” as the crowd erupts into laughter.