18 Reasons Bruno Mars Rules My Universe
How much do I love Bruno Mars? Let me count the ways…
By ANGIE ROMERO
If you watched Saturday Night Live this past weekend, then you know what time it is. Time to pay homage to the 27-year-old pop phenom born Peter Gene Hernandez, aka Bruno Mars.
From the opening monologue to his “Sad Mouse” skit, to the unveiling of his new single, “Young Wild Girls,” Bruno more than delivered, despite, admittedly, not having any formal acting or comedy experience. Bruno followed in the footsteps of Justin Timberlake, who’s also famously played the double role of host and musical guest on the long-running NBC show.
It’s not like we need a specific reason to make this list, but now we have the perfect one.
1. Sometimes, he looks like a young Michael Jackson.
2. He has the musical genius of a young Michael Jackson. As part of The Smeezingtons, he writes/sings/produces his own ish.
3. He paid the best tribute to Amy Winehouse EVER, at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards.
4. You can get to his heart through his stomach. In a Latina Mag interview with Mariel Concepcion, he said he likes a Hawaiian twist on the traditional Puerto Rican dish arroz con gandules, made with pigeon peas and olives. He calls this “rice on steroids.” Note: he also likes to drink horchata.
5. His hair. It deserves its own career. “I’ve never done a shampoo commercial, which is crazy,” he said on SNL. I demand justice!!!
6. He’s my height. Or so it looks.
7. He’s an October baby (10/7/85, to be exact), like me.
8. He dresses better than anyone I know.
9. And he can rock a hat.
10. Any hat.
11. His song, “It Will Rain” was the best thing about the god-awful movie that was Breaking Dawn Pt. 1.
12. He’ll catch a grenade for me. Seriously, when’s the last time a dude told you that?
13. He made the word Doo-Wop cool again.
14. He’s gonna make the concept of a jukebox cool again with his next album, due 12.11.12.
15. His ethnic make-up is like a delicious cocktail: Puerto Rican & Filipino, raised in Hawaii. Make that a double!
16. This video, where he basically brings Elvis back from the dead.
17. He channels Police-era Sting in the new single “Locked Out Of Heaven.”
18. He got caught with some blow and kept things moving. Party girls and boys: take notes!